CITY OF PLATTSBURGH HOMETOWN HEROES
Created by the City of Plattsburgh to recognize and honor residents who have served or who are serving in the United States Armed Services. This program is non-political and non-partisan and is intended to serve as a living memorial to those service men and women from the City of Plattsburgh.
View List of 2022 Honorees
View 2022 Banner Map
As an ongoing program, applications will be accepted at any time by those who wish to sponsor a banner. Banners shall be displayed from approximately Memorial Day to Veteran's Day and measure 30” x 60”. Banners will be displayed and stored by the City for a 2 year period and returned to the applicant at time of decommission. After all available spaces are filled, a waitlist will be maintained on a first come first served basis. If extra space is available, banners may remain a part of the program for more than two years if the applicant so chooses.
Street banners will be installed honoring City of Plattsburgh residents (past or present) who meet the requirements. A completed application and supplemental documents must be provided for review by a committee. Banners are limited to 1 per serviceperson for a fee of $225.
Honoree must be:
- Military personnel
- Currently serving, honorably discharged, retired or deceased
Honoree must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a current resident of the City of Plattsburgh
- Have previously lived in the City as a long-term resident (20 years or more)
- Be a graduate of a High School located within the City of Plattsburgh
- Be a resident of the City of Plattsburgh at time of enlistment or discharge from service.
Each application is subject to approval by the City of Plattsburgh Hometown Heroes Committee.
Locations for displaying the banners will be determined by the Plattsburgh Hometown Heroes Committee. Available space is determined solely by the City. A map outlining where each banner is hung shall be made available to all residents on the website and at City Hall.
- Completed Application
- Proof of Residency (i.e. City-based high school diploma, DD214 showing Plattsburgh residence, property records)
- Proof of Honorable Discharge / Active Service (i.e. Form DD214 or Honorable Discharge Certificate)
- Check or Money Order for $225; make payable to "City of Plattsburgh" with "Hero Fund - [Veteran's Name]" in the Memo Line.
- Digital or Hard Copy of at least 300 dpi resolution (Digital images are preferred. Images of less than 300 dpi, and scanned photocopies may be of grainy or poor quality).
Applications will be received on a rolling basis. The deadline to be included in that year's May-November cycle is March 1st of each year. Applications may be mailed, dropped off, or emailed to one of the addresses below:
Mail or Drop Off:
Community Development Office - 2nd Floor
41 City Hall Place
Plattsburgh, NY 12901