The Building Inspector's Office's responsibilities consist of Administrative and Enforcement authority for Building Construction and Renovation, Land Development, Zoning, Fire Prevention, Property Maintenance, Contractor Registration and Insurance, Street Access and Utility Permits, Sign Permits, and Flood Plain and Housing Inspections.
Construction, Renovation, and Code Compliance
The City of Plattsburgh has formally adopted the New York State modified version of the International Building Code. The “CODE” consist of various chapters to include Building Code, Residential Code, Energy Conservation Code, Plumbing Code, Mechanical Code, Existing Building Code, Property Maintenance Code, Fuel Gas Code and the Fire Code. These codes are the standard for all new construction, renovation, equipment installation and property usage for specific structure types.
The codes are available for viewing through New York State modified version of the International Building Code.
The charter of the City of Plattsburgh, includes section 270, Zoning Ordinance. The purpose and intent of the zoning ordinance has been developed to achieve the following:
- To promote orderly, economical and desirable development of the entire community.
- To encourage the most appropriate use of land in the community in order to conserve and enhance the value of property.
- To provide adequate open spaces in order to assure access of light and circulation of air, in order to facilitate the prevention and fighting of fires, in order to prevent undue concentration of population and in order to lessen congestion on streets and highways.
- To protect the right to solar access in order to facilitate the use of this alternative energy source by residents and property owners.
- To create and attractive and cohesive central business district.
- To improve the financial structure of the city by increasing the rate of growth of municipal income through enhanced value of property.
- To slow down the deterioration cycle of neighborhoods.
- To enhance the aesthetic aspects throughout the entire city.
- To ensure that tax revenue will remain sufficient to meet the increasing expenses of government.
View The Zoning Ordinance as found in the Plattsburgh City Code.