(PLATTSBURGH, NY - Tuesday July 26, 2022) - The City of Plattsburgh, along with consultants Saratoga Associates and Behan Planning and Design, will be holding a public meeting to discuss the City’s Draft Comprehensive Master Plan on Monday, August 1, 2022 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall in the Common Council Chambers.
The Comprehensive Plan update is driven by the City’s vision for an inclusive, vibrant community, steeped in history and culture, with mixed use, walkable neighborhoods and abundant affordable housing. The current Comprehensive Plan for the City was adopted in 1999. This update is being undertaken in conjunction with updates to the City’s Local Waterfront Revitalization Program and will be followed by revisions to the City Zoning Ordinance that will facilitate the implementation of these two plans. Funding for this project is provided by the New York State Department of State under Title 11 of the Environmental Protection Fund.
This Comprehensive Plan, also known as the Discover Plattsburgh Plan, presents a long-term perspective and vision to guide decision making in the City of Plattsburgh for the next twenty years. It will provide the road map to ensure Plattsburgh continues to thrive as the heart of the North Country and as a city that adapts to the needs of its people while preserving its unique identity. This plan provides the story about who we are as a community, who we strive to be, and the road map to get there guided by the core characteristics of sustainability, diversity, resiliency, and vibrancy.
The Draft Comprehensive Plan was developed with participation from a community Advisory Committee, following public workshops that were held via Zoom and through “Late Night for the Planet.” This initiative started back in 2020 and has hosted numerous meetings, public outreach events and planning sessions, listed below:
- April 22, 2020: Kick Off meeting with Public Advisory Committee (PAC) & Department Of State
- May 6, 2020: PAC meeting to discuss LWRP and next steps
- September 3, 2020: Common Council visioning session
- September 17, 2020: Special Planning Board meeting on comp plan
- October 3, 2020: PAC meeting
- November 2020: Stakeholder Survey circulated to 39 community partners
- January 15, 2021: PAC meeting to draft plan outline and public outreach strategy
- February - March 2021: Online community survey released; community responses gathered via Facebook/webform
- March 2021: Five (5) ward-specific community workshops held over two days
- March 9, 2021: Late Night for the Planet community workshop
- April 1, 2022: PAC meeting to review Draft Comprehensive Plan
The City and the Advisory Committee encourage residents to review the draft Comprehensive Plan, which is accessible at https://cityofplattsburgh-ny.gov/department/community-development/lwrp-comprehensive-plan-zoning-update. Residents are encouraged to submit questions and comments on the City website or at the meeting.